Friday, April 22, 2011

Christina Perri Says Her 'Life Changed' After 'Jar Of Hearts'

Singer is on tour with James Blunt after her song aired on an episode of 'So You Think You Can Dance.'
By Jocelyn Vena


Christina Perri
Photo: MTV News

Christina Perri is currently on the road with a man who, much like her, found fame after penning a track about love and heartbreak. Perri is touring with the "sweetest dude on the planet," James Blunt, and when she first found out about the gig, she had a feeling their fans would find common ground, a theory that has now been proved true.

"I was very excited. I knew the venues were going to be awesome, small little intimate theaters," Perri told MTV News. "And then, to be there [at tour kickoff on Wednesday], and see that our audiences are the same because so many people knew the words to my song ['Jar of Hearts'] that knew the words to his songs, I mean, that tells you right there, so it was a really great pairing," she said. "And I'm so excited now."

But a year ago, a major tour like this one was the farthest thing from Perri's mind — until one fateful night. Last summer, Perri went from small-town girl to Top 40 radio mainstay, with the success of her single "Jar of Hearts." And though a quick rise to fame is often described as happening "overnight," Perri truly is an overnight sensation.

"When my song was on the TV show 'So You Think You Can Dance,' my life changed that night, like, it was very fast," she recalled. "It's 2011, and that was last year [and] with the Internet everything [it's all very] 'right now.' So when the song aired on the show, by midnight, I never had to go back to waitressing again.

"I just existed; I didn't exist— and then I did," she explained of the feeling. "I flew to New York City, I signed a record deal like, boom, boom, boom, boom," she continued. "And it hasn't stopped, which is a good thing, and I'm trying to stay grounded and focus and keep doing what I'm doing every day, but it's been this magical thing where, like, I don't have to wake up and cover my tattoos and be a waitress. All the hard work ... ended up really working out. I'm grateful."

Perri will release her debut album, Lovestrong, on May 10.

Are you a Christina Perri fan? Tell us in the comments!

Related Artists

Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/MTVNewsLatest/~3/9C44CfCC_NQ/christina-perri-jar-of-hearts.jhtml

Celebrity Gossip Pop Music Movie News Lil Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment