Thursday, May 19, 2011

Beyonce revamps the Riverdance in spectacular new Run the World (Girls) music video

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

Sultry: Beyonce has debuted her spectacular new video for her single Run The World (Girls)


Beyonce Knowles has thrown some pretty extraordinary dance moves in her time.

But it's difficult to imagine that Riverdance star Michael Flatley would one day be a source of inspiration for the singer.

The Irish dancing phenomenon had seemingly been given a whole new lease of life when Beyonce incorporated some of the rapid leg movements and high scissor kicks into the video for her new song, Run The World (Girls).


Dance-off: Beyonce's all-female troop take on their male enemies with an impressive, energetic dance sequence reminiscent of Michael Flatley's phenomenal Irish dance show


R&B inspiration: Cast members of Riverdance look to have inspired Beyonce in her new music video


After leaving her devoted fans waiting for over a week, Beyonce, 29, has finally released the full-length version of her sizzling new music video.

A dramatic countdown on her website made sure all music industry eyes and ears were firmly on the R&B singer's hotly anticipated new offering.

But nobody would have expected Flatley's Riverdance to have worked it's way into some of the video's dazzling scenes.


Trend setter: Beyonce's moves in Run the World (Girls) will no doubt spark dance trends the world over


Fierce: The singer appears with several animals in the video


Girl Power: The single features the lyrics 'we're smart enough to make these millions, strong enough to bare the children, then get back to business'


Beyonce and her fleet of warrior Princesses were seen performing the moves in a long line, just as Flatley and his leggy Irish dance crew did in the 90s.

The video begins with scenes of Beyonce on a horse, then captured in a cage, then going into battle against a angry looking gang of men dressed in black.

Set against a mix of desert and industrial backgrounds, the singer wears a variety of dramatic clothing as she gets ready for her female revolution.


Tame that wild horse: Beyonce shows off her horse-riding skills on a stallion


Golden girl: Beyonce looks feisty in a gold dress and beehive in her new video Run The World (Girls)


But it is not until the final moments when the girls line up for their final dance-off that Flatley makes his mark.

There is no doubting Beyonce has brought some new and inspired dance moves to the table, and Riverdance fans the world over will not be able to miss the singer's attempts at Flatley-style footwork.

The video quickly jumps forward to see Beyonce as the leader of her own all-female gang, which is quickly followed by a string of dazzling costume changes and eye-popping dance moves.


Queen of the world: Beyonce surveys her kingdom in a stunning white couture gown


She came, she conquered: Beyonce looks triumphant after her revolution leaves a trail of destruction behind


Last week, Beyonce revealed the title of her new album, Four, for the first time and admitted the number held a special meaning for her, because it was the date of her wedding anniversary.

She explained her fondess for the number four because she celebrates her birthday on September 4 and her wedding anniversary with rapper/producer Jay-Z on April 4.

She told New magazine: 'We all have special numbers in our lives, and four is that for me. It's the day I was born. My mother's birthday, and a lot of my friends' birthdays, are on the fourth. April 4 is my wedding date.'


Taking a stand: Beyonce, who changes costume several times, strikes powerful poses throughout the video


Beyonce admitted Run the World (Girls), which has been criticised by some for her aggressive lyrics, was 'riskier' than her usual sound

She told Billboard: 'I just heard the track and loved that it was so different: it felt a bit African, a bit electronic and futuristic. It reminded me of what I love, which is mixing different cultures and eras - things that typically don't go together - to create a new sound.


Special: Beyonce has named the album '4' - a number special to her as it is her birthday and wedding dates


'I can never be safe; I always try and go against the grain. As soon as I accomplish one thing, I just set a higher goal. That's how I've gotten to where I am.'

Beyonce admitted she was inspired by a mix of old and new artists for her forthcoming album, including British singer Adele and Afrobeat artist Fela Kuti.

She explained: 'I also found a lot of inspiration in '90s R&B, Earth, Wind & Fire, DeBarge, Lionel Richie, Teena Marie... I listened to a lot of Jackson 5 and New Edition, but also Adele, Florence + the Machine, and Prince. Add in my hip-hop influences, and you can hear how broad it is.'


'I always try and go against the grain': Beyonce admitted her new album is riskier than previous recordings


During the interview, she also revealed she hadn't hired anyone to replace her father Mathew Knowles as her manager after they parted ways professionally in April.

She said: 'I believe that parents prepare their kids for the moment that they're on their own: at this point, I'm taking everything my dad and my mother have taught me, and I'm able to do things my way.

'We were at a point where we'd learned so much from each other, and now it's exciting for me to do this on my own and hire my own team. I've started managing myself.'

The full interview is in the new issue of Billboard magazine, on sale now.


Silver siren: Beyonce sings in front of a burning car - which she also did in the Crazy In Love and Diva videos





source: dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment