Saturday, May 21, 2011

Festivals guide | Iggy Pop

The sinewy rock'n'roll survivor's played on through tornados and tsunamis ? a little rain's not going to stop him

How does playing a festival compare with playing a regular gig?

Festivals can be difficult if you have to follow Slayer and their double bass drums are pounding in your head while you're sat in what amounts to a tented cubicle, trying to remember the third verse of your own song. But on the other hand you've got the possibility of lighting a fire under a whole lot of new people.

What's the difference between today's festivals and the ones you played in the US in the early 70s?

Those big summer gigs in the American midwest weren't really festivals, they were more like mass-murder rehearsals. Glastonbury reminds me a little of those days when you have to slog through the mud, although the people are much nicer.

Last time you were at Glastonbury you incited a stage invasion ?

I asked for some company onstage, and it just came like a tsunami! I was in a little over my head but it all worked out in a nice way.

This year you're at Isle Of Wight, which is slightly more civilised.

Yes, I've played before. It's a pretty island and everybody's frighteningly well-adjusted with their hats and their Pimm's. There's a well-kept strip of lawn in front of the stage that I suppose was there to protect people from me, so I had to do a lot of exercise to work the crowd. But I was happy to be invited back.

You're also playing Evolution up in Newcastle.

Yes, I'm pretty geared up for that. I can relate to the social habits of the Geordies.

How will you cope if the weather gets biblical?

Weather doesn't faze me. I'm not going to put on a jacket or stand under the tent just because it's raining. We played a hard rock festival in Finland last year and a tornado swept right across the festival ground. It tipped over Iron Maiden's airplane and also destroyed all of our equipment, so we volunteered to play acoustic songs from Raw Power in front of 60,000 Slayer fans. We were actually pretty good!

What else is in your repertoire?

We know half of Fun House, some of The Stooges, all of Raw Power, some of Kill City ? and sometimes we'll do Open Up And Bleed, when I'm emotionally capable ?

Interview by Sam Richards. Iggy & The Stooges play Evolution, Isle Of Wight, Hop Farm and Chester Rocks


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/may/21/iggy-pop-festivals

Shia LeBouef Bruno Mars Thierry Henry Cheryl Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment