Sunday, May 22, 2011

'They just lolled about': Actor Simon Callow's amazing Royal Wedding outburst

By Daily Mail Reporter


Relaxed... the attitude of the royal couple upset actor Simon Callow


It was a wedding which captured the nation's heart.

But for leading actor Simon Callow, Prince William and Kate Middleton didn’t take their royal nuptials nearly seriously enough.

The Four Weddings and A Funeral star launched into an extraordinary tirade against the royal couple while promoting his latest play, saying the pair looked like ‘they were in their front room’.


The actor, who was awarded a CBE by the Queen for services to acting in 1999, accused the newly-weds of being too relaxed and undermining the grandeur of the event.

Speaking to the Sunday Express, Mr Callow said: ‘I was struck by the extreme relaxation of the protagonists, and that was kind of amazing, but it was a little disappointing too, I thought because it was such an epic event yet they looked as if they were in their own front room.

‘I saw them lolling around a bit on their seats and making little jokes and all the rest of it.

‘Clearly the contrast between them and Charles and Diana was all to their advantage, and yet if these events are to be held and the taxpayers pay a great deal of money for them…it would be kind of nice if the participants seemed to have some sense of grandeur.’

Mr Callow admitted his views were out of step with the general public who had heaped praise on the couple for being down to earth.

Prestigious actor Mr Callow, who in 2007 was named 28th most influential gay person in the UK, said he didn’t even bother to watch the Royal Wedding as he was working.

‘It didn’t interest me very much and it was bewildering to me how excited people were about it’, he added.

The Queen and the late Princess Diana, however, left lasting impressions on the actor.

He told the Sunday Express: ‘I was sitting next to Princess Diana at the première of a film I’d been in called Postcards From The Edge.

'It was the first time I met her and she said: ‘You are not going to fall asleep on me are you?

Comparisons... Simon Callow said William and Kate were down to earth compared to Charles and Diana but 'lacked grandeur'

Joking... Simon Callow said the couples demeanour was too relaxed for the occasion


'Film stars have seen the film so often that they fall asleep when it starts. I said I promised I wouldn’t.’

And far from being frightened his comments may dissuade the royals from handing him a knighthood, Mr Callow said he has no aspirations to a title.

He said: ‘Perhaps if I do something remarkable I might get a knighthood.

‘But I don’t sit around thinking: When is it coming?’


source:dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment