Monday, May 23, 2011

Party's over, Ryan: Giggs leads title celebrations with his family... 24 hours later his extra-marital affair is exposed

By Daily Mail Reporter


Father's pride: Giggs enjoys his record-breaking run with his two children, Zach and Libby as Manchester United celebrated its 12th Premier League win


Less than 24 hours after celebrating the Premier League title Ryan Giggs was back in the headlines.

He was finally named as the man who had tried to cover up an illicit affair with Imogen Thomas - in what had become the internet's worst-kept secret.

After his side were presented with the Premier League trophy at Old Trafford yesterday, the 37-year-old led the onfield celebrations with his two children, Zach and Libby.

But this afternoon his reputation as a family man was rocked when he was finally outed as the high-profile player who had used the courts to keep details of his extra-marital affair a secret.


The revelation - made in Parliament by John Hemmings - will come as a relief to Miss Thomas, who broke down in tears on television over the affair.

The pair allegedly enjoyed a six-month fling, meeting in secret at a string of luxury hotels, it was claimed.

At the time the gagging order was granted, Giggs' agent described the revelations as a shock, saying: ‘This is incredible. I can’t believe it. He is such a family man.

‘I don’t know what to say, knowing the closeness of his family.’

Last month the 28-year-old former Big Brother contestant broke down as she told ITV's This Morning of her regret that she didn't have enough money to get a super-injunction to protect her name.

Struggling to control her emotions, Miss Thomas said: 'I had no intention of ever speaking about the man - I just wish that my name was protected. I didn't have £50,000 to get an injunction.

'I feel like I have been thrown to the lions and told to "deal with it".

Ryan Gigg's wife, Stacey Cooke, laughs during the family celebrations at Old Trafford. Left Imogen Thomas leaving her house in North London


'I'm coping with a lot of stress and pressure on my head at the moment, it has such a terrible experience for me. I've done wrong and I'm paying for it.'

Asked whether she had ever planned to 'sell her story' before she found out about the super-injunction which was granted earlier in April, Miss Thomas tearfully replied: 'I would never have said anything.

'I had no intention of selling my story whatsoever, no intention at all.'

Miss Thomas also had to face allegations from Giggs that she attempted to blackmail him over their affair.

She was said to be furious that he had suggested she demanded money to keep their affair quiet.

Speaking after one High Court hearing, she said: ‘I have read the judgement and I am stunned by how I’m portrayed.

United front: Ryan Giggs with his wife Stacey Cooke arrive at Manchester United's 2011 Player of the Year Awards last Wednesday


'Yet again my name and my reputation are being trashed while the man I had a relationship with is able to hide.

‘What’s more, I can’t even defend myself because I have been gagged. Where’s the fairness in that? What about my reputation?

‘If this is the way privacy injunctions are supposed to work then there’s something seriously wrong with the law.’

After breaking into the Manchester United team in the 1991/92 season Giggs became one of the most respected players in the game.

He made his debut aged 17 as a substitute against Everton, and two months later scored the winner against Manchester City at Old Trafford on his full debut.

Nineteen years on and he is considered by many to be the 'golden boy' of football and it was all smiles for him and his two children on the pitch as they celebrated his record-breaking run.

Throughout his career he has made the most Premier League appearances and is the only one to have scored in all the campaigns since it was created.

In 2007 he was awarded the OBE and it was commented then that the award would no doubt have taken into account his charity work, aiding the campaign to rid football of racism, plus his role as a Unicef representative working to eliminate the use of land mines.

In September that year he married long-time partner Stacey Cooke in a ceremony attended by close relatives and friends. The couple's children, Liberty and Zach, were part of the congregation.

Speaking after winning the Sports Personality of the Year Award in 2009 he said: 'I've been lucky enough to win a lot of things in my career, playing with great players and playing under the greatest manager who has ever lived, I've played for the greatest club, this is up there.'

Explaining how he kept up his level of performance despite his advancing years, Giggs said: 'Desire, looking after myself. I'm enjoying my football more than ever and I think that's reflected in my play.'

It remains to be seen whether his reputation - and marriage - can survive this final twist in his career.

Miss Thomas's television tears came after a High Court hearing the previous day over the injunction that protected Giggs




source:dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment