Saturday, February 6, 2010

Breathing exercises for acid reflux

Breathing exercises for acid reflux

Has anyone tried breathing exercises for acid reflux? It's definitely worth a try. I've done this for about 3 days, and think it may be helping a bit. I noticed my stomach seems a little smaller. I'm wondering if it helps stomach muscles to work better again. I've been doing this for a few minutes while laying in bed. Of course I am still trying to eat an acid reflux friendly diet. Hopes it works for other people.

While doing research re: acid reflux, I came across more than one article on breathing exercises. Here's one of them:

Technique in Practicing Using The Diaphragm

1. Place your hand on your stomach
When you take an in-breath your stomach goes out.
2. When you release your breath your stomach goes in.

This may be difficult to do at the beginning.
To practice, you can lie on your back and put a book on your stomach. Concentrate with your in-breath pushing the book up and letting it fall when you release your breath.

This exercise can be done on the spot in whatever position you happen to be, standing, sitting, or lying down.

What I have discovered is that when I went to bed at night and did not feel very well, I would put my hand on my stomach and concentrate when taking an in breath to push my stomach out and feel it relax when I let my breath out. I would do this slowly.

The ultimate answer is learning to breathe with your diaphragm all the time. This involves regular practice of diaphragmatic breathing, and a continuing consciousness of how you are breathing.

As you continue this over a period of time, diaphragmatic breathing will become automatic.

A further benefit of diaphragmatic breathing is improved airflow into the lower parts of the lungs and better oxygenation

Once again we have found that helping your body to heal itself through muscle and energy balancing often provides satisfactory results in the long run.


Proper diaphragmatic breathing is important for our overall well-being. Proper diaphragmatic breathing assists us to properly oxygenate our body, particularly during physical exercise, reducing chronic fatigue due to shallow breathing.

It also helps us to maintain proper muscle tone in our diaphragm. This in turn helps us to hold our abdominal organs in the proper position and to reduce abdominal and chest pains. This is often helpful after eating to reduce gastronomic distress.

Another important feature of the Barhydt basic balances is that they always drive the body-mind toward equilibrium (or balance).

A person cannot harm himself or herself by doing these balancing exercises. Just do the exercise if you feel it may be helpful; it generally takes just a few seconds in any case. This makes basic balancing exercises appropriate for self-help.

Another benefit I have discovered when I learned to breathe using my diaphragm is that I can eat most anything like tomato-based foods (ketchup, spaghetti sauce), citrus fruits, mint, and even chocolate within moderation

No comments:

Post a Comment